I'm Just Sayin'

Updates on what's happening in my life. Thoughts about current events, politics, books, and anything else that I find interesting. Intended for those who know and love me.

Name:
Location: Albany, New York

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Lethargy

Our eldest pooch, Brittany, turns 12 this month and we're very nervous that she won't be with us much longer. She has slowed down a lot since we moved to Albany, but this summer her energy level has been at an all time low. She often spends hours on end lying in a corner, not moving or even eating. We struggle to get her outside most days, although she seems to have some energy in the mornings. We've been rationalizing this behavior away for a while ("she's afraid of the July fireworks" or "it's too hot for her"), but the lethargy is so extreme now that we're pretty worried. Not once this week has she gotten up to greet me when I came home for work or moved at all until we force her to go outside at night, and even then Eddie has to go out with her. She was at the vet in June and declared "fine" but we're taking her back this week just to cover our bases. I think that given her age and her health issues, there probably isn't much that they can do for her. Since she's not showing signs of discomfort, we'll probably just leave her be and hope for the best. Still, it's really bumming me out.

Update: After spending most of last evening on the verge of tears because of how unresponsive Brittany was to me, it turns out she was just saving her energy for the return of her knight in shining armor. As soon as the garage door opened, she bounced up, trotted to the front door, and waited in eager anticipation for the arrival of Prince Edward. She then ate the same food I had been trying for hours to feed her and spent an hour playing outside with him. The little traitor! While I still think she's not feeling well, apparently she's going to save the little energy she has left for her true love!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home