I'm Just Sayin'

Updates on what's happening in my life. Thoughts about current events, politics, books, and anything else that I find interesting. Intended for those who know and love me.

Name:
Location: Albany, New York

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Magical Places

The day after our guests left, I lounged around the house reading Harry Potter Book 7 from start to finish. I won't go into any details about the plot, but I will say that I absolutely loved it. It was a great story in and of itself and a very fitting end to the series (with the exception of the last chapter, which I thought was unnecessary but harmless). I'm still trying to avoid the Internet chatter about the book because I don't want anything to ruin my feelings about the book. Most of the blogs I read are by academics and, let's face it, we can analyze anything to death. One of the things that I love best about the HP series is that it can transport you to a completely different mental space that is truly magical ... if you let it. Rowling's talent is making the journey effortless and desirable. The first words of the first page are the portkey to a world that is vivid, exciting, daring, and sufficiently complex for a thoroughly enjoyable escape.

Another magical place a little closer to home is Tanglewood. My sister, niece, and I went there last week to hear a Beethoven concert performed by the Boston Symphony Orchestra. One of my colleagues describes Tanglewood as "magical." While I expected it to be a very nice outdoor concert venue, I was surprised by how fitting this description really was. It has an amazing atmosphere that is unlike any other place that I've been to. I'll definitely be returning.

1 Comments:

Blogger Holli Lama said...

Isn't tanglewood great? I had been there twice before I moved away from Boston. I saw James Taylor there. It was awesome. Wolf Trap is around here, quite close, I need to indulge in that.

I am about to start HP7. Can't wait.
Love ya Jan!

HOL

7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home