I'm Just Sayin'

Updates on what's happening in my life. Thoughts about current events, politics, books, and anything else that I find interesting. Intended for those who know and love me.

Name:
Location: Albany, New York

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Snakes in Dreams

I rarely remember my dreams, but twice this week I woke up vividly remembering dreams about snakes -- lots of them, of different types, just slithering all over the place. Today I decided to do some "research" on the meaning of snakes in dreams and the pseudo-science of dream interpretation has offered several contradictory opinions:

1.) In Asian and Native American cultures the snake is a sign of wisdom and dreaming about snakes means "renewal, problem-solving, and good tidings." (http://predictions.astrology.com/dd/snake.html)

2.) In Judeo-Christian cultures, "the snake is a symbol of temptation or spiritual opposition against reaching one's goals" (http://predictions.astrology.com/dd/snake.html)

3.) It may also be a sign of betrayal and "refer to a person around you who is callous, ruthless, and can't be trusted" (http://dreammoods.com/cgibin/searchcsv.pl?method=exact&header=dreamsymbol&search=snake)

There's also a Freudian option, but let's not go there, or else I would feel compelled to go on a rant about Freudian reductionism and I don't have time for that right now.

Interpretation #1 is certainly the most positive. #2 is very "Adam and Eve" and I can't think of anything that fits that description. Thinking about #3 would be depressing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home