I'm Just Sayin'

Updates on what's happening in my life. Thoughts about current events, politics, books, and anything else that I find interesting. Intended for those who know and love me.

Name:
Location: Albany, New York

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Catty News Network

While I've been disappointed in the slipping quality of CNN for a while, I was still taken off guard by today's article about the Miss Universe pageant. Miss USA fell during the evening gown parade. I would hardly call this "news," but since some people actually care about these silly pageants, I suppose it deserves some coverage. Of course, they can't just mention the fall, they have to show a video of it. It lasted a split second as she very quickly recovered, but they had to repeat the fall several times with a freeze frame of her hitting the floor. And if that wasn't bad enough, the video was linked with the text "watch Miss USA take a tumble in an evening gown." It sounds like the headline of a grade school newspaper rather than a respectable media outlet. As someone who is challenged daily by coordination, I don't see why it's such a big deal, but I guess for some it's a surprise to see that Barbie is human after all.

2 Comments:

Blogger Corey said...

That actually looked like it hurt.

But my curiosity has been piqued. Miss USA Rachel Smith, who slipped and fell to the floor during the evening gown competition and was jeered by the Mexican audience during the interview phase, was the contest's fourth runner-up.

Why pray-tell was she jeered? The AP reporter doesn't tell us. I found a Miss Universe Blog (where the people take this stuff way too seriously). The posters over there say that this jeering was due to U.S. Border Control policy.

So there you go Janet... Miss Universe has set the stage for a macro discussion about international migration.

Well, that or people are stupid sheep. Baaaaa

6:35 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

So, your quest for knowledge actually took you to the Miss Universe Blog?!? Now that's dedicated research!

9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home