I'm Just Sayin'

Updates on what's happening in my life. Thoughts about current events, politics, books, and anything else that I find interesting. Intended for those who know and love me.

Name:
Location: Albany, New York

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

I Guess I'm Just Not That Hip

The t.v. show for my generation of women is unquestionably Sex and the City, but I have still not managed to get on that bandwagon. I tried to watch the show when it was in its prime, but I was turned off by the superficiality of the characters (Who wears those clothes? Who has money for all of those shoes?) and their over-the-top attempts to shock me. Recently I gave the show another chance. Mainly out of boredom I would catch an occasional episode on TBS and I started to understand why it was so popular. There are some endearing qualities of the characters, their friendships are admirable, and the drama of the dating scene can be entertaining.

And then I made a big mistake. I started watching some of the episodes on HBO. I do not need the clean versions of TBS because I am shocked and appalled by the sex talk or the sex scenes. No, I need the clean versions because the regular ones are so crass. I have been completely disgusted by some of the episodes. I appreciate the way the show pushed boundaries about what could be discussed or seen on t.v., but at the end of the day, t.v. is either for entertainment or education, and Sex and the City certainly doesn't qualify for the latter. Some of the things I have seen recently don't qualify as entertainment either. There is a reason why these things aren't shown on t.v. regularly -- they are not enjoyable to watch!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home