I'm Just Sayin'

Updates on what's happening in my life. Thoughts about current events, politics, books, and anything else that I find interesting. Intended for those who know and love me.

Name:
Location: Albany, New York

Sunday, January 13, 2008

A Fascinating Presidential Race

I'm surprised that I haven't blogged much about the presidential race, even though it is turning out to be one of the most fascinating that I can remember. I can't think of any other major political campaign that has forced Americans to be so introspective and articulate about our identities, beliefs, and policies. And needless to say, there hasn't ever been this level of gender, ethnic, and religious diversity, which is quite refreshing.

Normally I'm much more vocal about my political opinions at this point in the race ... so why not this time around? Thankfully, I don't think it's apathy. In part this is the first time -- in a long time -- that I don't feel desperate as a Democrat. There is no lackluster front runner this time. We actually have a pool of great candidates. While I'm still strongly supporting Clinton at this point in the race, I would be happy to support Obama or Edwards if they were to win the nomination.

I'm also trying to avoid some of the silly gender biases of the debate so as not to inadvertently legitimize them. Seriously, how many words were written/spoken over Clinton's tears? People cry. It's part of being human. Get over it.

Gloria Steinhem wrote a great NYTimes Op-Ed piece last week about Clinton's run for presidency. The title of the article was unfortunately right on target: Women Are Never Front-Runners. She also that nicely summarized why I'm supporting Clinton:

I’m supporting Senator Clinton because like Senator Obama she has community organizing experience, but she also has more years in the Senate, an unprecedented eight years of on-the-job training in the White House, no masculinity to prove, the potential to tap a huge reservoir of this country’s talent by her example, and now even the courage to break the no-tears rule.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home