I'm Just Sayin'

Updates on what's happening in my life. Thoughts about current events, politics, books, and anything else that I find interesting. Intended for those who know and love me.

Name:
Location: Albany, New York

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Ticky-Tacky Houses



I'm excited about the upcoming second season of one of my favorite tv shows, Weeds. I was hooked on the show when I first saw the title sequence and heard the theme song Little Boxes by Malvina Reynolds (1963). The song is a bit annoying, but the words perfectly sum up how I feel about suburbia. "And they're all made out of ticky tacky, and they all look just the same."

The show is witty and sarcastic and focuses on the hypocrisies of living in the "perfect suburb," the least of which is the drug-dealing, recently-widowed single mom. Mary Louise Parker's dry humor is perfect for this role.

I went to the Showtime website to catch the preview to season 2 and found some funny behind the scenes clips. I especially liked "Top Signs Your Neighbor is Dealing." I could make my own clip called "Top Signs Your Houseguest is Growing Pot in Your Guestroom." Seems like only yesterday that I found those little plants in my closet ...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello from Northern California Janet,

I found your post while looking up "Little Boxes" on google. I was taught the song on a field trip in my "alternative" high school in 1975 and wanted to see who the woman was that sings it on Weeds. I too love the show and find many parallels in my life.

Take care,

Lori

12:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home