I'm Just Sayin'

Updates on what's happening in my life. Thoughts about current events, politics, books, and anything else that I find interesting. Intended for those who know and love me.

Name:
Location: Albany, New York

Sunday, July 09, 2006

89 Years and Counting

Today is my mom's 89th birthday. She isn't so thrilled with getting older since her body has been failing her lately, but nonetheless I'm amazed by her age. Since she is two generations older than me (because I am adopted), I sometimes have to remind myself of how different the world is now compared to what she experienced in her lifetime. Here's some perspective on my mom's life:

Interesting things that happened in 1917 when mom was born:
  • The Bolshevik Revolution brings Communism to Russia
  • Puerto Rico becomes an American territory
  • First jazz record recorded (Dark Town Strutters Ball)
  • Seattle is the first team to win the Stanley Cup
  • Jeannette Rankin becomes the first woman member of US House of Representatives
  • U.S. enters WWI
  • Raggedy Ann doll invented
  • Boys Town founded by Father Edward Flanagan in Nebraska
Interesting things that happened when mom was my age (35) in 1952:
  • First black umpire in organized baseball certified (Emmett Ashford)
  • First hydrogen device exploded at Eniwetok Atoll in Pacific
  • First TV acknowledgement of pregnancy (I Love Lucy)
  • Mr Potato Head is first toy advertised on television
  • Poland adopts Communist-imposed Constitution
  • Clarence Birdseye sells first frozen peas
  • False fingernails first sold
(Factoids from the Today in History web site.)

And since today was the men's final of Wimbledon, where Roger Federer won his 4th consecutive title, the first Wimbledon tournament was held on this day in 1877.

1 Comments:

Blogger Holli Lama said...

1917 was a good year. My gram was born that year as well. And she is still counting as well... although she won't claim 89 until December 28 and not a day sooner! Say Happy Birthday to MOM! And wish her my best!

10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home