I'm Just Sayin'

Updates on what's happening in my life. Thoughts about current events, politics, books, and anything else that I find interesting. Intended for those who know and love me.

Name:
Location: Albany, New York

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

The End of an Era



Not surprisingly, Stevie Y. has announced his retirement from hockey. While we all figured it was coming, it's still a bit sad. Though I've been watching the Wings since I was really young (with Dad on the old B&W t.v.), I can't really remember a season without Yzerman. Not only was he a remarkable athlete, but a strong if understated leader, and a great face for the struggling city of Detroit. While I'm sure that his departure from the ice will open up opportunities for other players, it's really hard to imagine the team without him.

This news comes on the heels of Andre Agassi's announcement that he'll retire from tennis this year after 20 years as a pro. And today Martina Navratilova announced that she is also turning in her racket (again). Three of my favorite athletes are calling it quits. It makes me feel a little old.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home