I'm Just Sayin'

Updates on what's happening in my life. Thoughts about current events, politics, books, and anything else that I find interesting. Intended for those who know and love me.

Name:
Location: Albany, New York

Monday, July 17, 2006

The Missing Pages

For those of you who need proof of my obsessive-compulsive tendencies, I am happy to oblige.

I've been reading Diana Gabaldon's historical fiction series Outlander for several months now. I just finished book 5 of the 6 book series. Each of the books is several hundred pages long. I borrowed book 5, The Fiery Cross, from the Albany Public Library. It's 992 pages long. When I got to about page 950, I realized that the next 20 pages were missing from the book. I didn't enjoy this book as much as the previous ones and, frankly, by the time I hit page 950 I was ready to be done with it, so I just kept reading the pages that were there until I got to the end. Unfortunately, the missing pages involved a major plot line, but essentially I was able to figure out what I missed. Or at least I think I did.

I am now obsessed with the missing 20 pages. What if something happened in those 20 pages that would change my interpretation of the ending of the book? What if those 20 pages would have made the whole book worth the effort of reading it? Can I go on to read the book 6 without really knowing what happened in those 20 pages? The rational side of my brain says that I should just let it go. Twenty pages out of 992 is only 2% of the book. And yet ... I can't stop thinking about those 20 pages!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home