I'm Just Sayin'

Updates on what's happening in my life. Thoughts about current events, politics, books, and anything else that I find interesting. Intended for those who know and love me.

Name:
Location: Albany, New York

Monday, February 04, 2008

More on the Democratic Race

Although I'm still supporting Clinton for the Democratic primary, I'm nonetheless impressed by Obama's strength in this race. This latest video clip is a great representation Obama's ability to inspire people and mobilize support. The comparisons of Obama to MLK and JFK are justified and it's been a long time since we've had a leader who could stir us out of our apathy. My concern, though, is that these qualities are great for campaigning, but I'm not sure how well they will translate into actual decision-making in the bowels of Washington or in global politics. It's easy to talk about the need for change and harder to actually implement it. This is where I think Clinton's experience will pay off. The failed health reforms of the 90s painfully illustrated how a widespread desire for change never got off the ground. While Clinton is less exciting than Obama, I think she is more realistic about the types of changes that can be accomplished through the presidency.

When I was a freshman in college I read an article for a psychology class about how college women got more conservative as they aged. I remember being outraged and thinking that would never be me. I actually don't think I've become more conservative, but I do think I've become more pragmatic. If I were a college student today, I would probably be more enamored by Obama than I am today. I'd also be out heartedly campaigning. Nowadays, I'm much more of a realist and less easily swayed by grand ideas and powerful speeches. Change is hard, dirty, frustrating, and long-term. I want a candidate who knows how to get things done in those circumstances.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home