I'm Just Sayin'

Updates on what's happening in my life. Thoughts about current events, politics, books, and anything else that I find interesting. Intended for those who know and love me.

Name:
Location: Albany, New York

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Tweaked

I just received an email from an undergraduate student asking for information about a course I'm teaching next semester. I'm happy to provide that information since our course descriptions aren't terribly helpful, but this was the first time here that an undergraduate has addressed me by my first name and it tweaked me. They occassionally use "Ms." or "Miss" which is also annoying, but at least it's polite. I don't believe I know this student (although he didn't provide a last name so it's hard to tell), but even if I did know him my undergrads do not call me by my first name. At first I was going to ignore it, but it got under my skin. It came across as presumptuous and disrespectful, although I think it was probably just a careless informality.

I'm also bothered by the fact that it tweaked me because it makes me feel elitist. On the one hand we're all adults so it seems fine for everyone to be on a first name basis. My co-workers at my last job didn't call me "Dr." even if they were younger or were still in school. And I actually prefer if my grad students use my first name because I consider them more as colleagues than students. But for some reason it's different for undergrads in the classroom setting. While the title adds distance between faculty and students, it also helps to establish respect and authority. I haven't had any teaching problems yet (knock on wood) but introducing that level of informality into the classroom makes me nervous. Anyhow, in my reply to this student I added a diplomatic line about using proper titles as a courtesy to faculty. I felt the need to make my point, but I didn't want to make a big deal about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home