I'm Just Sayin'

Updates on what's happening in my life. Thoughts about current events, politics, books, and anything else that I find interesting. Intended for those who know and love me.

Name:
Location: Albany, New York

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Successes

The mantra for success at research universities is publish, publish, and then publish some more. Teaching is given a token nod, but readily dismissed. ("Sure, you're a good teacher, but that won't get you tenure.") For those of you not in academia this is probably distressing given how much we pay for college educations; nonetheless, it's true. I'm bothered by this attitude because it assumes that you can only do one well and that you have to consciously choose to pursue research at the expense of teaching. I'm still clinging to my naive belief that you can do both well and that you shouldn't have to choose between them; although I'm realistic enough to know that the only thing that will really count in my tenure evaluation is research.

I have recently had a string of successful events with students that have bolstered my belief that I really shouldn't have to choose between the two. I finished my first paper co-authored with a graduate student, who I met through teaching. One of my undergraduate students won an international paper competition with a research paper that she wrote for my class. I also had the research/teaching work that I did with a freshman recognized by the university. Some will say that only the first of these accomplishments will help me get tenure, and they are right. But student successes are one of the great joys of this occupation that too many people miss because of their quest to get tenure via publications alone. Three years from now we may be laughing at my naivete if I don't get tenure, but for now I'll enjoy these successes for the sake of my students rather than my own career objectives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home