I'm Just Sayin'

Updates on what's happening in my life. Thoughts about current events, politics, books, and anything else that I find interesting. Intended for those who know and love me.

Name:
Location: Albany, New York

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Things That I Just Don't Get

I've been down on the blogosphere lately. I found myself getting really annoyed at many of the blogs that I had been reading regularly. They're typically academic blogs and I got tired of the egotistical posing. I haven't given up on them all together, but a serious purging of my Bloglines subscriptions made me feel better.

I also haven't been writing much lately because I've been preoccupied. The homefront has kept me pretty busy these last few weeks. Additionally I've been thinking about some serious professional issues that are not bloggable. I should qualify and say that I shouldn't be blogging about them in an effort to keep up the pretense that I will behave myself until I'm tenured.

So while I sort out a few things, I've decided to blog about a fairly benign topic -- things that I just don't get:
  • John Mayer -- He's sooooo bland.
  • Toxic personalities -- How is it that some people who appear to move in normal social circles (jobs, families, etc.) seem to have completely skipped the entire socialization process and suffer no apparent repercussions?
  • O.J. Simpson -- Why do people still care?
  • Facebook -- I think I'm just too old for this one.
  • The Emmys -- A celebration of mediocrity.

4 Comments:

Blogger Corey said...

my apologies for the seriousness and rigor of current postings on my current muse; this shall be remedied in due course.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Brad Wright said...

I go through a similar cycle in my blog readings... expland the list slowly over time then purge it. (And do over again).

Probably a good idea to do some filtering until tenure... at with taking shots at your colleagues.
;-)

8:02 PM  
Blogger Brad Wright said...

In thinking more about it, maybe posing with a blog is a good idea for pre-tenure folks.

If the blog is too personal/ interesting/ non-traditional, people might assume you have too much time on your hands and aren't spending enough time on research.

Posing, on the other hand, sort of looks professional, so maybe it's useful in self-presentation.

Too cynical?

8:06 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

Cynical, but probably true.

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home