I'm Just Sayin'

Updates on what's happening in my life. Thoughts about current events, politics, books, and anything else that I find interesting. Intended for those who know and love me.

Name:
Location: Albany, New York

Friday, February 09, 2007

Hubris

Hubris is one of my favorite words. Not only do I like the sound and appreciate the power of its meaning, but my first encounter with the word marked an important turning point in my life. I learned the word during my first semester of college taking a classical literature course. Having had virtually no exposure to literature in high school, this was quite a challenge for me. We were reading Homer and hubris was one of the major themes we were discussing. I struggled with the subtlety of the term, not quite understanding why arrogance would not suffice. I invested an inordinate amount of time in this course trying to keep up. Eventually I came to understand the word, grew to appreciate Greek literature, got an A in the course, and realized that I could actually succeed in college -- something that was not obvious to me upon my arrival at U of M.

Since that time hubris has remained one of my favorite words, though it's not one that you can use often in casual conversation. The Wikipedia page for the word has a nice definition by Aristotle: "As for the pleasure in hubris, its cause is this: men think that by ill-treating others they make their own superiority the greater."

Hubris was considered a crime in ancient Greece. Sometimes I think it's unfortunate that that's no longer the case today.

3 Comments:

Blogger Holli Lama said...

Jan - That is an awesome word. It sums up one of my favorite quotes, " you can tell the character of a man not by how well he treats his peers but how her treats those who serve them."

12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It would also be nice if hubris were grounds for impeachment...

9:49 AM  
Blogger Janet said...

Yes, Emily! Shouldn't it be?!?!

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home