I'm Just Sayin'

Updates on what's happening in my life. Thoughts about current events, politics, books, and anything else that I find interesting. Intended for those who know and love me.

Name:
Location: Albany, New York

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Day 1 in L.A.

With the exception of San Francisco, I'm not a huge fan of California. The whole west coast vibe just doesn't really suit me. One of the reasons why I wasn't looking forward to the criminology meetings this year is that I didn't want to go to L.A. It's expensive, and far, and not terribly exciting in my book.

It took two flights totaling almost 7 hours to reach L.A. For someone with a severe motion sickness problem, this is a grueling trip. Luckily, the plane trip to L.A. was fairly smooth and I was even able to get a little work done on the plane -- all for naught, as I then left my folder with all of my notes, readings, and even some materials for my conference presentation on the plane.

The shuttle van ride from the airport to the hotel was brutal. I'm usually scared during these trips because the cab/van drivers are not the safest drivers in the world, but this was the first time where I got really sick. Between the long plane rides and the psychotic van driver, I seriously thought I was going to toss my cookies in the van. To make matters worse, I was with 10 other very friendly criminologists all heading to the same hotel making lots of small talk. I had to struggle to try to be social without puking all over them.

Thankfully I made it to the hotel and spent the next hour trying to see if I could recover my lost folder from Northwest. Well, it may be in the lost and found at LAX, but they don't have a phone number so I'd have to shuttle back over there to see if it's there or not. No thanks! Just another reason why I hate Northwest.

I had a free evening so I was going to try to do something fun in L.A., but I just couldn't muster the energy. Between the motion sickness, getting up at 3:30 a.m. to catch my flight, the 3-hour time difference, and my complete exasperation at losing my stuff, I just didn't have it in me.

The good news is that Day 2 in L.A. is turning out to be much better. Stay tuned for the next exciting update.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Janet -- it's great to see your blog! As someone who grew up in LA, I can testify that it really isn't that bad, except for the traffic. The westside is a particularly friendly part of town, especially Santa Monica and Venice. For a totally different experience, though, check out Eagle Rock, which is where my mom has been living for the past three years. Every time I visit her, I think it might be nice to live there again, but then I get on the freeway, and remember how nice it is to live in Ann Arbor, where I can walk almost everywhere worth going!

9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home