I'm Just Sayin'

Updates on what's happening in my life. Thoughts about current events, politics, books, and anything else that I find interesting. Intended for those who know and love me.

Name:
Location: Albany, New York

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

What's in a Name?

Tadeusz Kościuszko was a Polish military officer who fought for Poland's independence against Russia in the 18th century and who also fought for George Washington in the American Revolutionary War. Because of his service for the U.S. there are lots of things here named after him -- schools, parks, roads, etc. However, no one can pronounce his name correctly or even attempts to. In all fairness, it is quite difficult, even for someone who speaks Polish. It's pronounced KOSH-CHUSH-KO, more or less.

There is a Kościuszko bridge here in NY on the Northway leading out of Albany, although you'd hardly know it. I haven't yet heard anyone here pronounce the name. It took me months to realize that the traffic reports on the news call the bridge the "Twin Bridges" because it has two arcs and so they can avoid pronouncing his name.

Today as I was getting settled in my hotel room in L.A. I had Oprah on T.V. and I found out that she was from Kosciusko, Mississippi. However, she pronounced it KO-ZEE-U-SKO and I just about fell off the bed. Not only is that a horrible mispronounciation, but I'm sure that's how everyone in MS has been saying it for years.

So, why can't we get the guy's name right or at least try to? We manage other difficult names (e.g., Christina Aguilera) or unusual names (e.g., Barack Obama). Perhaps Kościuszko is too far buried in our history for anyone to really care. Sort of a sad legacy for a national hero.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home