I'm Just Sayin'

Updates on what's happening in my life. Thoughts about current events, politics, books, and anything else that I find interesting. Intended for those who know and love me.

Name:
Location: Albany, New York

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Clueless

On the way home from work Monday I stopped at the local drug store to buy milk and a few other things I needed. When I made my way to the counter there was a new clerk there -- a very chatty 50-ish man. He immediately commented on how I was paying too much for a gallon of milk and it would actually be cheaper to buy 2 half-gallons. I politely told him that if I really wanted to save money I'd buy milk at the grocery store, but I'm paying for the convenience.

Then he rang up my other three items -- a birthday card for my brother-in-law (Sto lat!), a lipstick, and an eyeliner. The total was around $23.00. He stared at the register dumbfounded.

No, that can't be right.

He checked the receipt to make sure he rang it up correctly. He starts babbling about how it's not possible for these four items to cost so much. I, of course, ignore him and run my debit card because I know the total is correct. Finally, I'm afraid he's going to cancel the transaction, so I decide to explain to him that the total is correct because of the makeup items.

NO! How can that be?!? Those little things can't cost that much!

Yes, it's correct. Can you imagine what they would cost at the Estee Lauder counter at Nieman Marcus?

And then I made a hasty retreat as I used up all of the politeness that I had in me at the moment. Really, how clueless can you be? What a luxury to be middle-aged and never have to consider what it costs women to fit into their gender stereotypes. It reminded me of a funny blog post about buying tights written by a female academic that resonates well with the whole White House manifesto regarding no bare legs.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a clerk at a drugstore BERATE me for buying a .25$ candy. She said, "Di you even look at the price??? This is too much for a mint." REALLY?
Then right before I left for this trip I bought litter pan liner to make the cat boxes easier for my house-sitter, and the clerk said, "I could never bring myself to buy plastic box liners for a cat, my conscious would KILL me!" I said "Good, then I'll just take them myself." Where did these people get trained????

7:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home