I'm Just Sayin'

Updates on what's happening in my life. Thoughts about current events, politics, books, and anything else that I find interesting. Intended for those who know and love me.

Name:
Location: Albany, New York

Saturday, September 23, 2006

PolishFest

Aside from family and friends, what we miss most about living in the Detroit area is our Polish culture -- the restaurants, music, language, bakeries, etc. We're especially disappointed that we have yet to find a Polish restaurant or bakery anywhere near where we live. There's a Russian deli near my work, but it's not very good. We often find ourselves craving pierogi or stuffed cabbage or pickle soup.

We've tried to bring things back from Michigan, but most of the doughy products don't survive the drive well. Of course, I could cook more Polish food, but most of what we like is pretty labor-intensive and I don't do that much serious cooking most days. So today was like a holiday for us. The Polish National Catholic Church in the area had its annual PolishFest this weekend. It's not the most exciting festival, but the food was excellent. And the best part was that we found a newly opened Polish deli and store about 20 miles from our house. It's not the same as walking across the street to the Polish bakery, but I think it'll be worth the drive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home