I'm Just Sayin'

Updates on what's happening in my life. Thoughts about current events, politics, books, and anything else that I find interesting. Intended for those who know and love me.

Name:
Location: Albany, New York

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Lucy's Baby

I am utterly fascinated with the recent archeological finding of the remains of a 3.3 million-year-old Australopithecus afarensis, likely ancestor of our human species. This is an especially remarkable find since it is the remains of a child, roughly three years old. Selam, as she is named, is referred to as "little Lucy" or "Lucy's Baby" after the most famous female skeleton of this time.

I think that if I were to choose a new career, it would be anthropology. I have always been fascinated by ancient civilizations (partially explaining my addiction to CivIV). I also really appreciate the close linkings between the physical and social sciences within archeology/anthropology. I remember one family vacation when I was about 9 or 10 and we went to Mackinac Island. Instead of swimming in the lake, biking around the island, or eating fudge, I spent hours sitting aside an archeological dig site, completely fascinated by the slow and meticulous process of digging up ruins. I didn't see any exciting discoveries, just a little pottery, but I was riveted by the idea of what could be found. (I was very fortunate that my dad was patient enough to indulge me in this "fun.")

No need to worry, though, I have no intentions of starting a new career. I'm still quite happy as a sociologist and I'm enjoying my current job. I'm just planning ahead for my next life. Oh, and in my next, next life I want to be an astronomer or, even better, an astronaut if I can shake the motion sickness problem after two reincarnations.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home